- Surprising Lindsay and Josh Rilko (Lindsay Lou & the Flatbellys) with the appearance of Josh’s parents Dan & Suzie Rilko from the DC area.
- Watching April Verch do her thing, with great backup from Cody & Hayes.
- Soaking in the warm personalities and extreme talent from The Kruger Brothers – the house concert setting with these guys is indescribable.
- Jonathan Byrd’s storytelling – both through his lyrics and vignettes between songs
- The new/fresh sounds from The Barefoot Movement, including Quentin’s tribute to my parents “In the Cool of the Day” (Jean Ritchie).
- The potluck night that there were THREE mac & cheese dishes.
- Lindsay Lou’s voice!
- Kiran, our favorite house concert guest.
- The Stray Birds packed the house. Maya did not reveal that earlier that day she was in a serious car accident until after the show – such strength, talent, determination from this group and it’s fun to watch them gain popularity/fame as time passes.
- International fiddler Tania Elizabeth with husband Andy Stack – and surprise guest appearance of Adrien Reju.
- Mark Lavengood (aka Huggy Bear) from Lindsay Lou & the Flatbellys – what’s not to like about a dude who has a beer from Founders Brewing Company named after him? – Huggy’s Nuggs
- The sweet voice of Chris Kokesh and her fiddle playing – although one of my favorite tunes “Sundays Loving You” featured Chris on the ukulele.
- The beautiful stage backdrop provided by Tania Elizabeth’s artwork.
- Hasee’s (The Barefoot Movement) contagious excitement in just being alive.
- The parting group hug from Uwe and Jens.
- Listening to Dan and Josh Rilko play together after the show, late into the evening.
- The responsive, friendly, generous, appreciative guests (over 150!) that attended in the past year. We hope you’ll come back for more in 2013-2014!
Highlights from the 2012-2013 Chestnut House Concerts