- Surprising Lindsay and Josh Rilko (Lindsay Lou & the Flatbellys) with the appearance of Josh’s parents Dan & Suzie Rilko from the DC area.
- Watching April Verch do her thing, with great backup from Cody & Hayes.
- Soaking in the warm personalities and extreme talent from The Kruger Brothers – the house concert setting with these guys is indescribable.
- Jonathan Byrd’s storytelling – both through his lyrics and vignettes between songs
- The new/fresh sounds from The Barefoot Movement, including Quentin’s tribute to my parents “In the Cool of the Day” (Jean Ritchie).
- The potluck night that there were THREE mac & cheese dishes.
- Lindsay Lou’s voice!
- Kiran, our favorite house concert guest.
- The Stray Birds packed the house. Maya did not reveal that earlier that day she was in a serious car accident until after the show – such strength, talent, determination from this group and it’s fun to watch them gain popularity/fame as time passes.
- International fiddler Tania Elizabeth with husband Andy Stack – and surprise guest appearance of Adrien Reju.
- Mark Lavengood (aka Huggy Bear) from Lindsay Lou & the Flatbellys – what’s not to like about a dude who has a beer from Founders Brewing Company named after him? – Huggy’s Nuggs
- The sweet voice of Chris Kokesh and her fiddle playing – although one of my favorite tunes “Sundays Loving You” featured Chris on the ukulele.
- The beautiful stage backdrop provided by Tania Elizabeth’s artwork.
- Hasee’s (The Barefoot Movement) contagious excitement in just being alive.
- The parting group hug from Uwe and Jens.
- Listening to Dan and Josh Rilko play together after the show, late into the evening.
- The responsive, friendly, generous, appreciative guests (over 150!) that attended in the past year. We hope you’ll come back for more in 2013-2014!
Tag Archives: Hayes Griffin
April in January
Just 6 days until April Verch, Cody Walters & Hayes Griffin perform at Chestnut House Concerts. We may be able to find an extra seat or a comfortable lap for you to sit on if you care to join us.
The potluck is certainly a highlight of House Concerts. Arrive anytime after 6:00 pm and bring food or beverage to share with others. It saves some time in the evening because you don’t need to make dinner, and it’s a great way to meet people & relax.
If we haven’t heard from you, check the ‘About’ page and get in touch!
3 Greats in 1 Show
If a chance to see the beautiful and talented April Verch – Canadian fiddler, singer, songwriter and step dancer – is not enough, don’t forget she’s bringing along Cody Walters.
Cody is a master at the upright bass and also plays the claw hammer banjo. Cody has traveled with various bands playing everything from bluegrass to oldtime, jazz to latin. And if Cody & April aren’t enough…what about Hayes Griffin?
Hayes was an active member of Boston’s vibrant acoustic music scene as he added a master’s degree in Contemporary Improvisation from the New England Conservatory to his BA in Music Performance from Denison University. Hayes started playing guitar at age 9 and gained recognition in the bluegrass world as a teenager, winning 2 flatpicking competitions in a row. Hayes has been with the April Verch Band since 2012.
All 3 of these influential musicians make up the internationally renowned April Verch Band and will be performing Tuesday evening, January 15, 2013 – 7:00 pm. Check the ‘about’ page for instructions on how to sign up for a seat at the show.
from left, Hayes Griffin on guitar, Cody Walters on bass & banjo, and April Verch